Share Buttons

Monday, March 2, 2015

Mini Greenhouse and Natural Borders



Here in Georgia, we are just seeing the ground again as we were given a wee-bit of snow from ol' mother nature. Eloise is my favorite hen, not that you could tell...
I was inspired to make these easy mini greenhouses for hardening off my plants and helping them get better lighting before spring starts. My seedlings have appeared leggy due to not getting enough light. I should invest in an indoor grow system with lights, but I can only do oh-so-much each year.
Each container has roughly 15 holes drilled into it for ventilation as it is an important part of any greenhouse. These mini greenhouses are not an ideal set-up, but for 25 buckaroos(got them at Home Depot), it suits me and my small garden just fine. They will only be useful for a short period of time, but they will definitely help.
I am re-purposing milk cartons for my larger seedlings that needed a larger pot. Given my experiences last year, I feel that I have one toe up on the season ahead.
I am excited about my new project of creating natural borders from dried out crape myrtle trimmings from my yard. It is free, but labor intensive. They are looking good so far, but they aren't done yet. I have a lot to do still including laying mulch and a rock border around the garden, EEEKKK! Traditionally, you would use willow branches, but I am using what I have on hand. These pictures are just a quick update of what is to come and what is being done as we approach spring! Woohoo!


1 comment:

  1. What a great idea you have with the mini greenhouse's. Nice way to get a head start on the growing season. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete